describes the organization’s reason for existence.
7. A(n) ____________________ is a broadly stated
definition of basic business scope and operations that distinguishes the
organization from others of a similar type.
8. Broad statements describing where the organization
wants to be in the future are called ____________________.
ANS: strategic goals
9. ____________________ define the action steps
by which an organization intends to attain its strategic goals.
10. Goals that define the outcomes that major departments must achieve
in order for the organization to reach its overall goals are known as
11. ____________________ are designed to help execute major strategic
plans and to accomplish a specific part of the company’s strategy.
12. The specific results expected from departments, work groups, and
individuals are the ____________________ goals.
13. ____________________ plans are developed at the lower levels of
the organization to specify action steps toward achieving operational goals and
to support tactical plans.
14. Plans that define company responses to specific situations, such
as emergencies, setbacks, or unexpected conditions are called
15. A special type of contingency plan that is used when events are
sudden and devastating and require immediate response is called
16. The crisis management plan should be a(n) ____________________
that specifies the actions to be taken, and by whom, if a crisis occurs.
17. A group of planning specialists assigned to major departments and
divisions to help managers develop their own strategic plans is called
18. ____________ is the set of decisions and actions used to formulate
and implement strategies that will provide a competitively superior fit between
the organization and its environment so as to achieve organizational goals.
19. The plan of action that prescribes resource allocation and other
activities for dealing with the environment and helping the organization attain
its goals is called a(n) __________.
20. A business activity that an organization does particularly well
relative to its competition is known as a(n) ________.
21. When organizational parts interact to produce a joint effect that
is greater than the sum of the parts acting alone, __________ occurs.
22. __________ includes the planning and decision making that lead to
the establishment of the firm’s goals and the development of a specific strategic
23. The use of managerial and organizational tools to direct resources
toward accomplishing strategic results is known as ___________.
24. The ability to influence people to adopt the new behaviors needed
for strategy implementation is called _________.
25. It is argued that ___________ is the most difficult and most
important part of strategic management.